I'm not delusional enough to think that if we follow the advice below, my husband and I will automatically raise our children into Olympic champions.
But, I think it’s interesting. There seems to be similar overriding beliefs in the mindsets of all great Olympic athletes. Also interesting: many Olympic athletes directly attribute their extreme success to the support, guidance, and insight from one or both of their parents.
Could it be, perhaps, that in order to succeed at the upper echelons of competition, there are specific thought patterns that must be present in the mind of the competitor? Could it be that these specific thought patterns can be created and influenced--at least in part--by the parents? Whether done consciously or unconsciously? That perhaps these thought patterns apply to high levels of success in any field or endeavor?
My husband and I would say, resoundingly, yes.
So, if you want to increase your child’s chances of becoming an Olympic success, or perhaps just a success in life in general, take note of the mindsets of the parents of some of the top athletes in the world. Here’s a few of the things we’ve noticed they SAY to their kids. Just another reason why we love the Olympics so much:
1) YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU PUT YOUR MIND TO. What a powerful phrase! If you don’t believe this about your child, it is possible you don’t believe it about yourself. Work on yourself first, live it out in your own life. Your children will see it. Also, tell them every night “You can do anything you put your mind to doing.”
2) NEVER GIVE UP. Even when the road seems challenging, find the grit to keep on going.
3) DON’T BE DISCOURAGED BY FAILURE. LEARN FROM IT. USE IT TO GROW AND GET BETTER. Use your losses as experiences to propel you forward toward your ultimate goals in life.
4) STAY FOCUSED ON YOUR GOAL. Don’t let distractions get in your way. Don’t let naysayers speak into your ear. Once you know what you want, stay focused on it until you get it.
5) BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. KNOW THAT YOU CAN AND WILL ACHIEVE YOUR GOAL IF YOU BELIEVE YOU CAN. 80% of success in internal. Not the external factors that you have no control over. Get yourself in the right frame of mind. YOU believe you can do it first, and you’re 80% of the way there.
6) I LOVE YOU VERY MUCH AND SUPPORT YOU. I WILL DO WHATEVER I CAN TO HELP YOU REACH YOUR GOALS. There’s nothing like knowing someone else in your life is rooting for you, no matter what. What a gift for a parent to give to their child! Offer your full support to whatever their interests are. Help them climb the mountain toward their goals, encouraging them along the way. Tell and show them that you love them. Then, watch them soar!
For more blog posts and inspiration visit heiditankersley.com